Friday, June 17, 2011

Amazing Love ♥

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. - Romans 5:8

God is Love, and His love is very different from human love. God's love is unconditional, and it's not based on feelings or emotions. He doesn't love us because we're lovable or because we make Him feel good; He loves us because He is love. We didn't have to get clean, and we didn't have to make any promises to God before we could experience His love. His love for us has always existed, and because of that, He did all the giving and sacrificing long before we were even aware that we needed His love.

Amazing love, how can it be
That you My king would die for me
Amazing love, I know it's true
It's my joy to honor you
In all I do I honor you

I have such a struggle and difficult time understanding this sort of love. I have an even harder time receiving it. My whole life I have been programed to believe love must be earned. If I worked hard enough or was perfect enough then maybe I would be accepted. And even then there were times I wasn't..
Unconditional love - it's like a foreign language. So strange and unfamiliar. It's hard to accept someone could love me that way. Especially when I can't even love myself that way. But how amazing. God loves me when I fail. He loves me when I succeed. He loves me even when I push Him away or ignore Him. He comes running with excitement when I come back. He loves me enough to correct me, to discipline me, to guide me, to protect me. He loves me through my temper tantrums. He loves me no matter what I look like, sound like. No matter what I do, think, or say - He loves me!!!

I saw an example of this once. A little girl at my church came running in to see her dad. She was a little sad because she had gotten into trouble at school. Her dad spoke softly to her about doing better and then he swept her off her feet and embraced her. I couldn't help burst into tears. I never experienced that with my own father. It was always criticism and then praise only if I did something right. And never embraced or held.

Maybe that is why I struggle here. I believe in my mind that God's love is real and for me but my heart is guarded and afraid.
But, I must keep telling myself over and over again - I CAN NOT EARN IT!!! He simply loves me JUST BECAUSE. There is nothing I can do or say that will make Him love me more then He already does. And the point is I don't deserve it but He loves me regardless. Christ died for us while we were still sinners. We didn't have to get clean first.

I keep thinking about the story of the prodigal son. The father came running to meet his son and embraced him. Put a ring on his finger, gave him a robe, and threw a party. That is our God! That is our father!!!

Oh Amazing Love!!!!! ♥ ♥ ♥

Suddenly I see

No comments:

Post a Comment