Friday, June 17, 2011

Lordship

So here's the thought the Lord laid on my heart. I've been struggling with true discipleship lately. Not my will but Your will be done in my life, Lord.
However, some areas are hard to let Him Lord over. Especially what I eat, and what I do with free time.
Well, since I work with young children the Lord always shows me His heart through those experiences. So, this morning as I cried out to Him He showed me a very simple picture.
When we care for children, whether they are ours or someone else's, we care for their safety. We provide for them a safe and loving enviroment. If your 2 year old child was jumping off the sofa you would tell them no. Why? Because they might fall and hurt themselves. Well, that child doesn't see that danger. They only see the fun and thrill of jumping. So they get mad when we tell them no. And even when we explain the danger they still are stubborn because they think well, I won't get hurt.
We don't let our children eat only candy bars and soda for breakfast, we don't let them go outside in the winter only wearing a t-shirt and shorts, we don't let them play in traffic, and we don't let them watch programs or listen to music that have hurtful messages or would be too scary.
So, hmmmmm....
God is OUR Father. We are His children. He knows what is best. God told us to obey our parents so we would have long life on the earth. Why? To protect us. Now once we grow up we should apply that same principle with God. OBEY :)
Here's the problem. When we grow up we think - now I can do whatever I want, eat, drink, consume whatever I want. Stay up as late as I want, watch and listen to whatever I want. But there are consequences to our choices. If you stay up too late you will be tired in the morning, eat too much sugar and you will be sick. We make sure our children get a good night's sleep because we want them to be at their best for the day. Then why do we neglect our sleep? Stay up super late to watch a TV show or surf the internet. You may say I have work to do or I deserve time to myself. What if your 8 year old child said I need to stay up all night so I can complete a homework assignment or organize my match box cars? Hmmmm....
Excuses, excuses! I always find myself asking for forgiveness for making excuses.
The simple truth is we want to do what we want to do. God is simply trying to protect us, keep us safe. He loves us. He is our Father.

Surrender. It's a difficult word but actually it is a blessing.

God, be Lord over what I eat, what I wear, what I read, what I watch, what I listen to, my sleep time, my free time, my job, my relationships, my choices. I surrender them all to you. I know you love me like no other and you know what is best.
I will stop throwing a tantrum like a 2 year old child and obey.

AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment