Friday, June 17, 2011

Just Let me Help You

Many times the Lord speaks to me through one of my moments with a child. As I was sitting on a chair in the frame of the door of the potty I had such a moment. One of the children was finishing and was having trouble buttoning his pants. It was the kind of button that has to be pushed through a hole so it's difficult. He was struggling so I said, "Come here and I'll help you." Being a typical toddler he ignored me and kept on with the struggle. I said again, "Let me help you." Again he ignored me and started to get very frustrated. I was thinking if he'd just let me help him it would be done in seconds and he could go on and play. But instead he kept ignoring me until finally he was almost near tears. Finally he came over and let me help him.

During this whole ordeal the Lord was speaking to my heart. How many times have I been like that little child? How many times have I struggled in trying to do something without God? How many times have I thought, I can do it! I don't need Your help.
I realized I have done it more then I would like to admit.
And the whole time God was there saying, Just come over here and let me help you!
But I would continue on. Pushing through my own strength, failing, getting frustrated, until I was crying and calling out to God who picked me up and said, I've been here the whole time to help you. All you needed to do was come over to me.

It reminds me of a poem I heard a long time ago

As children bring their broken toys in tears for us to mend,
I brought my broken dreams to God, Because he is my friend.
But then instead of leaving him to do His work alone,
I hung around and tried to help in ways that were my own.At last i snatched them back and cried,
"How could you be so slow?" "My child," he said,
"What could I do, you never did let go

Let us always remember that we do not need to do anything on our own or in our own strength. For in our strength we will fail but in Christ we can do all things!

No comments:

Post a Comment